Monday, November 23, 2009

And the Winner Is...

THING 23: REFLECTIONS ON THE 23 THINGS

It seems like an eternity ago that we were reflecting on our lifelong learning goals. Of course, this journey through the land of 23 Things has added considerably to my learning toolbox (#5 of the Lifelong Learning Seven and a Half). Most of all, learning the 2.0 tools, almost none of which I had a grasp of, relates to #6: Use technology to your advantage. I now feel poised to do so. Some of the tools I already depend on, many others I am incorporating into my way of life and learning more gradually, and still others I don't foresee using but will remain open to. Who knows what lies ahead? Embracing the question is part of the ride.

FAVORITE 2.0 TOOLS BY CATEGORY

Potential Personal Addictions:
Library Thing
You Tube

Most Personally Indispensible:
Delicious

All-Around Large-Scale Innovation Potential:
Wikis

Most Fun and Inspiring Methods of Communication
Blogs!
Podcasts

NOT SO FAVORITES

Most Frustrating Due to Tech Difficulties:
Rollyo
Technorati
NetLibrary


Couldn't Figure Out But Definitely Worth Trying Again:
Image generators

Time Sinks:
Twitter

SURPRISES

Why isn't social networking one of the 23 Things?
That said, I have a Facebook page, but I never visit. I use it to find people (and allow myself to be found) and exchange email addresses, then take our conversations to more private places. The ability of search engines to crawl through such sites sets off my Orwellian Alarm Bells. Social networking sites are the most disconcerting for their potential for abuse by outside interests. On the other hand, thanks to Facebook, and the fact that her son has an unusual name that I used to search, I was finally able to find my best friend from high school after 25 years...


No comments:

Post a Comment