Tuesday, November 10, 2009

Commended Classifieds

THING 19: Peruse an Award-Winner


What a great resource the list of 2.0 winners is! It's interesting to see Library Thing as only the Honorable Mention for social cataloging. I wonder what the First Place tool is like. Will have to check it out (chant mantra: in my spare time).

I checked out Craig's List, the First Place in the Classifieds category, which I used a few years ago when I moved. It is even better now, very user-friendly, with no need for a tutorial if you are the least bit tech-comfortable (although there is a good help section). Finding things is easy because of both the category-sorting and the searching features. There are many categories--sales, personals, real estate, free stuff, cars, employment, musicians (always fun to read). And if you are offering something but are not tech-savvy, this is the place for you. The help sections are plain English, comprehensive, easy to navigate. And folks are maintaining the site with scam warnings and such. There are even Craig's Lists for cities all over the world, so if you are about to do a year abroad or some such, you can look for apartments, houses, furniture, and more. I wish my son had had access to the Montpellier, France, list before he did his junior year over there...

No comments:

Post a Comment